Schools of Choice (S.O.C.)
Godwin Heights Public Schools is participating in the Kent County Schools of Choice Program for the 2019-2020 school year and will be accepting applications for new Schools of Choice students in grades K-11.
Kent County Schools of Choice Program (grades K-11 only)
Applications for students living outside the Godwin Heights School District and entering grades kindergarten through 9th grade will be accepted for buildings and grades where space is available. The application period is April 8, 2019 through May 10, 2019. Applications are available at all Godwin Heights school buildings, the Administration Office at 15 - 36th Street SW, Wyoming, MI 49548 and online on April 8, 2019.
• Students who have been suspended, expelled or convicted of a felony may be excluded
• Providing false information on the application is in violation of law and may result in acceptance being revoked
• Transportation is NOT provided - parents are responsible for transporting student to and from school
• One application per student, per year may be submitted to one school district
• Accepted students are expected to comply with choice district policies
Godwin Heights public schools participates in the Kent Intermediate School District Schools of Choice program. All students living within the Kent Intermediate School District may apply for enrollment in any Kent ISD school that has available openings during the S.O.C. enrollment window.
Considerations for Schools of Choice
- What special services does the school offer? Does it offer the special needs or gifted and talented programming your child might require? Do the extracurricular and athletic offerings match your child's interests?
- Does the curriculum meet state and national standards? Does the curriculum help prepare children for the realities of the working world and the diverse people they will meet? Does the district offer special programming focused in areas of interest to your child?
- How does the school communicate with families? Do the opportunities for parent involvement meet your needs and desires? Are parents involved in their children's education?
- How does the school handle disciplinary matters? What is the parent's involvement in disciplinary matters?
- Will there be consistency in the curriculum, the staff, and in your child's friends from year to year?
Families Please Note
The Kent ISD School of Choice plan is a lottery-oriented system, not a first-come, first-served one. Applications are accepted from April 8, 2019 through May 10, 2019 at 4pm. You may download an application here or pick one up at any Godwin Heights School building beginning April 8, 2019. Only one application per student may be submitted. Families who submit more than one may be disqualified from the entire process.
There is no advantage to submitting an application early, since all applications are considered at the end of the application period. If the district has more applications than openings, a random drawing will take place the first week in June.