Curriculum & Instruction
Godwin Heights curriculum has been based on the State of Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations (GLCE's). In June 2010, the State Board of Education adopted the Career and College Ready Common Core State Standards (CCSS) as the new standards for K-12 Mathematics and English Language Arts. Common Core State Standards are standards that have been agreed upon by educators and are a collaborative effort by states across the nation.
The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent and clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust, relevant to the real world, and reflect the knowledge and skills that young people need for success in college and careers. These rigorous education standards establish a set of shared goals and expectations for what students should understand and be able to do in grades K-12. Thousands of classroom educators, instructional leaders, administrators, and higher education representatives continue to assist State officials in developing the CCSS Curriculum to support the implementation of these new standards.
Godwin Heights has been actively participating in the Kent County, Michigan, and National conversations on C.C.S.S. in the areas of Math, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies. As new standards are released and adopted by the State of Michigan we are working hard to change the instruction and interim assessments that are used to guide daily instruction.
CCSS Resources for Parents and Teachers
- State of Michigan Q&A Document for CCSS
- PTA Parent Guides to CCSS by Grade Level
- Common Core Webinars
- National Website for CCSS
- Smarter Balanced Assessements
- Next Generation Science Common Core
- Jen Arnswald Live Binder on Common Core
Additional Curriculum Resources from the Michigan Department of Education
- Curriculum Review Cycle
- How Michigan Curriculum is Developed
- English Language Proficiency K-12 Standards
- Preparing Michigan Students for Work and College Success Research Fact Sheet
- High School Course/Credit Content Expectations and Guidelines
- Michigan Curriculum Framework
- Career/Employability Standards